Monday, January 25, 2010

Jim Rockford and Me

If I had to pick one word to describe the 1970's, it would be hassle. Everything was a hassle. People were always getting hassled. No character on television got hassled as much as Jim Rockford. We got to watch as he suffered indignities, went broke, took beatings, cracked wise, fought back with whatever came to hand and (usually) emerged (sort of) victorious. (Or at least lived to fight another day, still in possession of his teeth, his trailer and his Firebird.)

I watched the pilot episode as an eight-year old, though the thing that I felt was coolest in 1974 -- Rockford shooting down an airplane with a revolver -- now seems like one of the weakest gags in the show's six-year run. But even at that tender age the show struck a chord with me. Life was full of hassles. But with brains, a bit of skepticism and a dry wit, you could prevail. Jim Rockford has been a kind of hero of mine ever since.

If I had to justify the existence of this blog (do I?), I would say I find a missing element in other things that have been written about the show. They fixate on the answering-machine messages (not that funny to me) or the plots (I find them hit or miss). To me the enduring appeal of the show is the character of Jim Rockford.

My goal is to rewatch some of my favorite episodes (Thanks, Hulu) and share my thoughts on the character of James Scott Rockford, with observations about other noteworthy characters, plots, guest stars, hassles, 70s fashion, and, best of all, examples of the Rockford wit.

No comments:

Post a Comment